Friday, March 4, 2011

Where I Find My Indie Clothing



As an Indie Girl I enjoy dressing slightly different from everyone else.  Mind you most of the time I am either in pjs or jeans and a t-shirt.  There are times though when I enjoy expressing myself through fashion.  With money short though, it can be difficult to shop for new clothing and being especially clothing that is different and Indie.  So save money this Indie Girl will boldly try new things.  I have happily embraced The Goodwill Store! 

The Goodwill Store!  “What?” you say, “The Goodwill Store?”  Yes, my friends I have discovered a place where one can find clothes for cheap.  Oh, sure you will run into the rather too worn t-shirt, or the occasionally MOOMOO (which by the way I wouldn’t mind wearing one, I mean its breezy covers everything and you wouldn’t have to wear underwear), but then as you search through miles of clothes racks you discover the gems.

When I first walked in, the store was basic: no manikins dressed up in the latest spring fashions, no young teenagers size 2 running around with headphones on, nor is Lady Gaga blaring from the speakers.  The floor is hard and cold, tiny typed signs tell you where to go, and you can smell the smell that only slightly used clothes have.  This is not a fancy department store this is Indie Girl shopping.

    Scary!


This is where that mug went that you bought your friend for their birthday.


Guidelines are needy to shop at a 2nd hand store. 

·         Beware of becoming a hoarder!
·         The sizes lie!
·         Check the armpits!
·         Put down the turquoise corduroy shorts!

Yes, there are a million cute knicky knacks in bins, and shelves, but do you want to end up on that show Hoarders?  I collect knicky knacks too don’t get me wrong, but I have a smart collection of gnomes (love them!).  Remember though, if it’s a giant candle squirrel, the reason it’s there at the store is because no one knows what to do with a giant candle squirrel and neither will you.  Sure, you are not going to know exactly what you need or will find at a 2nd hand store.  Remember though; you don’t want to be on national television crying because somebody gave away your giant candle squirrel.

Loved this cute shirt!

I was very blessed to experience my first 2nd hand store shopping with my Aunt Kelly.  The first thing she said was; “Never trust the sizes.”  Most of the time they have mislabeled the sizes that is why it is best to carefully look over each article of clothing, try them on to if you’re not sure.  Most stores such as this are not as organized as department stores so just beware.  I think it is fun that way.

I’ll admit I found a few articles of clothing with some old arm pit stains.  Deal with it.  Just don’t buy it.  99% of the clothing that I ran into was fine.  Just remember this is slightly used clothing, so you are getting a sweet deal on the prices.  I bought four name brand shirts for under $20.00.  They were good clean shirts.

Bright colors attract me.  I’m like a moth that has to fly towards the light.  There are a lot of brightly weird colored clothing at a 2nd hand store.  It’s fun to view these clothing and laugh.  Whatever you do put them down!  I almost bought these brightly colored turquoise corduroy shorts.  Best to bring a friend with you to tell you no.  It’s great to save money, but you can spend money foolishly, even at a 2nd hand store.

Indie is all about doing things differently, and that can be handling your money differently too.  It’s very Indie to be thrifty and nothing wrong with spending less on your wardrobe when you can.  Most of the time you will come out of a 2nd hand store with fashions that no one is wearing….. which is really what Indie is all about. J



This rocks!  I would have bought it but I have no more wall space.

Creativity takes courage.” Henri Matisse
     
Now this Indie Girl most go and create something! J