Friday, February 18, 2011

Yes I Would Wear A Chipmunk Costume


Moms are very supportive.  You could decide to dress up in a chipmunk costume and go gather nuts outside.  That same mom would hand you your nut gathering basket look you straight in the eye and say; “You look cute in your chipmunk costume but you’re crazy!”

Of course my Mom doesn’t think I’m crazy for starting a blog, but I’m sure after reading this blog she will be a little worried about me really dressing up in a chipmunk costume.  No worries Mom, I can’t find one in Lamar anyway!  Although, my mom did ask me straight up what does Indie mean?  Have to admit it would have been easier to explain a chipmunk costume.

I mean I do know what Indie means at least for me but how do I explain that in words?  So, in this my second blog, I will try to explain what Indie means. 

After doing some research I’ve come across some definitions to the term Indie.  There appears to be three categories of Indie:  1. Music 2. Movies or Art  3. Clothing.

The first category is music.  Often times you’ll hear it called Independent Music.  There are a few distinctions between Indie music and more mainstream music. In, independent music the bands often have funky creative band and song names think She & Him, The Decembrists, or They Might be Giants.  Another major factor is that they do not belong to any major music label companies such as Warner Bros., Sony, etc…  In my own personal experience with Indie music, I find that they tend to be more creative with ways to express their music, such as using instruments often not heard in mainstream music, what they sing about, and even leaving out computer technology all together.

We have all had experience with Indie Films wither we have heard about the Indie Film Festival or maybe we have seen one at the theater.  These movies tend to be low budget films, sometimes with off the wall scripts.  Have you ever watched “500 Days of Summer” or “Little Miss Sunshine”?  They do not always have famous movie star acting in them.

Indie clothing varies.  There does not seem to be one set style choice.  I have seen everything for 50’s style clothing to skinny jeans and loose fitting t-shirts.  Converse seems to be a popular choice in shoes.  Makeup leans towards the more natural side and hair varies from long and shaggy to short a spiky.  Men often have thick beards.  Thank goodies I have yet to see tube tops.

After all this here is what I see Indie as for me.  I need to get something straight here; Indie did not change my life.  It did not shape me into the person I am today, nor does it define me.  My relationship with God is what changed my life.  He gave me the gift for creativity, I only labeled the burst of creativity within me as Indie and I happen to enjoy the lifestyle.

About a year ago God changed my life and after some intense rough spots I started to feel like my old self again.  I literally felt like I needed to start creating something.  So I took up writing again, knitting and now I feel like trying some mix media.  Who knows what else I will learn to do.

To sum this all up this is what Indie means: Whatever you want it to mean.  Just be creative, learn new things, bring back a little of the past, and don’t be afraid to be different.

I found this wonderful quote which I would like to end with.
Creativity takes courage.” Henri Matisse
     
Now this Indie Girl must needs go and create something! J


Just a little note.  My really awesome Mom drew the little Indie Girl  for my blog.  Thanks Mom!!!!  She is creative too!

Another little note.  My Best Friend/Sister checks each one of my blogs to make sure the grammer and spelling is okay.  Thats a lot of work thanks Deborah you rock!!!!