Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Book Club

I truly apologize for the lack of a blog Saturday.  Due to school, illness, and work I was not able to write one. :(

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Chapter 1

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.
“Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.” (Firzgerald 2007 )

Set in the jazz age (after WWI) we know this period of history to be the "Roaring Twenties" a time when the war had ended and the Victorian ways stripped away and new modern freedoms where accepted. Women cut their hair short, wore shorter dresses, and Jazz was the new sensation.

We understand that our main character Carraway is not as wealthy as the people he will meet with throughout this novel. Carraway must work and we know that he is getting started in the Bond business. He lives on West Egg Village which is different than the East Egg since on East Egg all the wealthy people lived. I know in my own town people who live on Willow Valley are considered to be the well to do people. It's funny how things such as where you live change your status.

Carraway is invited to dine with some friends that he hadn't seen in ages. They live on East Egg and are very fashionable well to do people. Tom Buchanan is a mean spirited ex-football player who does not work but lives off his money. His wife is a mere shadow of herself Daisy Buchannan.

Though Carraway has less money than the Buchanans it is interesting to note that he seems to be the only one well, happy or at least with his head on straight. I think this chapter shows us clearly that wealth does not bring happiness and that having all the advantages in the world does not make you a better person.

Do you notice that we only catch a glimpse of the Great Gatsby in the first chapter? Him standing outside with his arms stretched out gazing at a green light. Interesting way to introduce a character especially one who is the title of the book.

If you have any thoughts or comments feel free to email me at indiegirl2011@yahoo.com.
You can also Tweet Me or leave a comment on my Facebook page.

Indie Girl Out!