Friday, September 16, 2011

Don't Be A Hater


Yes, I'm on the fence when it comes to Darth Vadar's "NOOOOOOOOO"!  I have to admit to me it feels out of place but, I will not join the dark side in hating George Lucas.  There are a few reasons why I think people are overreacting and the reasons Star Wars needs to stay fresh.

First and foremost I too have groaned about some of the changes taking place there are certain ones I dislike; Obi-Wan Kenobi's new dragon call, and Darth Vadar's big "Nooooooooo" however, there are some changes I look forward to: the New CG Yoda in The Phantom Menace and okay the brighter lightsabars. I think as fans we have a right to disagree or agree with the changes but, getting so upset that you bash George Lucas? Not cool.

First this is George Lucas's baby. He created the Star Wars universe, and as an artist he has a right to make changes.  Second, George Lucas loves technology, and let's face it, the more sophisticated the technology he will be using it if not creating it. Thirdly, if George Lucas never did anything with Star Wars, the movie would become dusty sitting back in a vault somewhere and we would only be watching it on TCM every so often. No new scenes to look forward to, no new action figures, and no amazing behind the scenes footage. See? We need George Lucas.

Finally one thing that I think the haters have forgotten.  This new release will attract new fans. Remember when George Lucas released the new edition of Star Wars onto VHS? That was when I became a fan. A little Indie Girl in high school…...  I have remained a fan ever since. The Clone Wars Cartoons have brought in a younger generation of fans, many of these younger fans grew up on animated stuff like Pokiman and Manga books. This relates to them.  The Blu-ray edition will bring in younger fans as well and give them their first look into the large Star Wars Universe.

So, if George Lucas never updated or did anything with Star Wars our fan base would be pretty thin, and Star Wars would not be as big as it is today. Just think on that before you go bashing George Lucas. Nothing wrong with disagreeing but, let’s not take it so far.

Indie Girl Out.