Friday, April 29, 2011

My 2nd Blog On England

By Shelli Bullard Trowbridge
With the whole Royal Wedding event going on today, lots of people have England on their mind.  This Indie Girl always has England on her mind.  Like I said in my last blog, England is like a 2nd home to me.  I seem to tweet at least twice a week how “I wish I was in England right now.”  So my dear Indie/Geek friends, here are a few of my favorite England spots that I would like to return to.

Spot # 1:  Near my good friend Lindow Man.  I have at least ten pictures of my good friend. He’s the only man in my life that I have ever been in a lasting relationship with.  Lindow Man can be found squished up somewhere in the amazing British Museum.  Lindow Man was a human sacrifice a long time ago (around 2BC) during the time of the Druids in ancient Britain.  He was about 25 years old,  in perfect health (minus an infestation of worms), but he seemed to have lived a comfortable life.  Until one day he was struck over the head with a heavy object, strangled and tossed in a bog.  Yes, I’m a Geek. I love this kind of stuff and I will spend an hour at the British Museum just studying my man, Lindow Man.

SPOT # 2:  A place called The Orchard with freakin’ awesome carrot cake.  I love literature.  I have read everything from Shakespeare to the entire Harry Potter series.  The Orchard is a tiny garden which combines my two favorite things: tea and a garden.  I walked the same path to The Orchard as the Grantchester Group. They were well known authors during the First World War.  E.M. Forster, Rupert Brooke, Virginia Woolf, Bertrand Russell, Augustus John, Maynard Keynes, and Ludwig Wittgenstein  are a few of the famous authors that drank tea and ate cake here.  After a 2-mile walk through pasture, you reach a tiny garden door, which leads you into the most amazing garden.  There you can sit under a large tree, sip tea and eat amazing desserts.  The most amazing thing that I will never forget is knowing that I sat under the same tree as those famous authors. 


Tea For Two


SPOT # 3:  Shakespeare’s Globe Theater.  Imagine watching Othello performed right before your eyes, and if you just stuck out your hand, you could touch the actor’s costume.  Don’t get me started on the theater I could write an entire book on the subject.  If you every go to England please go to Shakespeare’s Globe Theater.  Choose to stand in the front row (no sitting allowed) I didn’t even mind when I was spit upon on accident by one of the performers.  Front row you see all the action and it is worth standing up for 4 hours.

Me in the Middle Globe Theater

There are tons more spots in England that I would love to tell you about.  However, this blog is becoming too long and it is time to wrap it up.  Being Indie is about exploring, getting out there and opening up your mind.  England did that for me.  I learned so much about history, literature and art, but most of all about myself.  Well, it’s getting late and this Indie Girl has to go and go to sleep!  Good Night. 

Links: